This space will be used to document and record my adventures in Vietnam and throughout South East Asia over the course of the next year.

Friday, February 17, 2006

Bali Jungle Bathrooms

Bali's got some crazy wild animals. And they seem to love our bathrooms. The animals aren't a surprise in such a lush, tropical climate on a small island filled with tropical plants and thick vegetation. But it has been quite a shock that we've had two deadly animals land up in our bathrooms.

First it was the scorpion, a small yet vicious looking animal, that we took over an hour to kill. We spent ages discussing strategies, rejecting tactics that may send the animal flying through the air or towards us, debating whether it could survive underwater. Finally we decided to drown the animal with five or more buckets of water that didn't do the trick so the scorpion's fate was left up to an empty beer bottle that rendered him no more.



While I was brushing my teeth the next night, I failed to notice a spider the size of my palm in the sink. As I bent down to spit, a movement caught my eye and I shrieked as the hairy creature scuttled towards me. Not brave or energetic enough to face another hour or decision making, I ran and summoned a hotel staff member who flicked and killed the spider with one flick of his wrist and a broom.

And if that weren't enough, I was on the toilet a few nights back when a bright green lizard the size of my forearm slithered out from below me and scaled the wall before I had time to react. At least the lizard isn't poisonous.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

lol great story!

1:00 AM

 
Anonymous ade said...

your old blog is ace. Am considering teaching in the Vietnaaam and your blog is refrehing. So many are angsty, but yours is so 'up for it'. Awesome!

12:58 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home