This space will be used to document and record my adventures in Vietnam and throughout South East Asia over the course of the next year.

Wednesday, October 13, 2004

friendly people

Every day after class I'm surrounded by hordes of students grilling me for information about my life, my family and my marital status. One of the most fequent questions is what I think of the Vietnamese people and my positive response always ellicits surprise and giggles.

It's amazing to me how friendly and accomodating the Vietnamese people are. At every step along the way, they seem to be going out of their way to point us in the right direction and be friendly. Expats who have been here for a longer time will tell you that most Vietnamese are always out to scam you out of money, but in my experience they aren't trying to be anything but nice and helpful. Of course there are times when they're pushing their limits with naive tourists who don't know any better but it's all relative when you consider that the average Westerner is making five times the amount of the average Vietnamese.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The average expat who has been here for years spends too much time drinking beer at 8am at the Saigon Cafe.

4:02 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home