This space will be used to document and record my adventures in Vietnam and throughout South East Asia over the course of the next year.

Thursday, October 14, 2004

Menu choices

As a vegetarian, I'm somewhat restricted in what I can eat in Vietnam. Menu's tend to be very long and diverse, but 80% or more of the dishes tends to be meat which is fine with me. Once we've cancelled out the option of eating flesh I'm a very easy girl to feed.

Some of the menu items here have been somewhat startling and surprising to say the least. I've seen options such as deep fried bowels, sauteed goat testicles and boneless chicken feet. Snake meat and blood is considered a delicacy and is often given to foreigners as a test of a strong stomach.

Two nights ago we went to a restaurant where you can barbeque your own meat. At one stage I ventured off to the bathroom only to see a crowd of Vietnamese surrounding an armadillo who seemed confused, disorientated and scared. Apparently this is also quite the delicacy and one small armadillo goes for $100 a pop. When a meal at a really nice restaurant costs about $3-$5, one of those scaly creatures must be pretty tasty to cost that much money!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home