This space will be used to document and record my adventures in Vietnam and throughout South East Asia over the course of the next year.

Saturday, December 11, 2004

Intestines travelling

It's amazing what the Vietnamese can carry on their motorbikes. I've seen coffins, families, eight huge bags of flour, full length mirrors and week old infants. But when I saw two baskets filled to the brim with jiggling intestines and innards, I knew I'd seen it all. The man was driving at about 60 kilometers with two plastic baskets hanging off of a wooden bar that was resting, unattached on the back of his motorbike. First of all, where was he going with the innards? And why on earth were they uncovered, unattached and on the back of a bike? I looked around at the still daunting masses of traffic and wondered what on earth it would look like if this man had to crash or even bump into another bike on the road. Spilled intestines would soon be followed by masses of vomit from all who would witness the scene. So, just when I thought I'd witnessed a once in a lifetime sight, I saw it again the next day!! Looks like it's quite the common commodity in downtown Saigon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home