This space will be used to document and record my adventures in Vietnam and throughout South East Asia over the course of the next year.

Sunday, February 06, 2005

Woof!

We met up with about 30 of our students last night and were surprised if not deterred when we pulled up to a dog meat restaurant. I, being the only vegetarian and avid lover of dogs, was somewhat put off but I persevered as I was excited to see the kids who keep me going on a day to day basis.

Out came dog liver, intestine, unknown body parts and fat. Some of the students enthusiastically dug in while others informed me that the tradition was quite unappealing but came along so as not to offend their colleagues. Matt gorged himself on poor Fifi and Fido's various body parts, inhaling the experience as though there was nothing less delicious in the world. Other members of our Western party tried the food tentatively and came to an agreement that it's not all that dog gone spectacular. The evening continued with regular Mot, hai, ba YO! cheersing of Hanoi vodka with an exceedingly high proof and it wasn't long before the dog intestine in front of me failed to remind me of my pet pooches I've loved over the years.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home