This space will be used to document and record my adventures in Vietnam and throughout South East Asia over the course of the next year.

Wednesday, December 29, 2004

Visit from the law

A few days ago I heard our doorbell ring and looked out of the window to see a policeman and our landlord. I immediately jumped to all sorts of conclusions about why he was visiting. Rumors consistently circulate in the expat community about police randomly kicking foreigners out of their homes, accusing men of setting up brothels and bribing them for money, and many other acts of corruption. But
apparently our policeman was just there for a social visit. He sat on
our couch for over half an hour in an animated conversation with our
landlord until he politely excused himself and left. We have yet to find out the exact purpose of his visit but believe that the police were curious as to who we were and what our deal was, so they sent someone to check up on us. Tres bizarre...



1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

They did that to me in Hanoi. I was an expat living with two young vietnamese girls, so you can imagine my anxiety. Unfortunately, my roomates werent there and the police didnt speak english. They said something to the effect of 'safety' and didn't stay very long.

4:21 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home