This space will be used to document and record my adventures in Vietnam and throughout South East Asia over the course of the next year.

Friday, December 24, 2004

Flying fish

One of my students gave me two tiger fish for Christmas. Yippee, I think...I've never had fish as pets before! I duly named them after two of my more rambunctious students and settled into my new role as fish owner. Fast forward a few hours and that role is quickly demolished. I was reading on my bed and noticed the fish making a lot of noise in the water. "Could the fish possible jump out of the bowl?" I think. "Nah, never." Carrie assures me. I'm assuming that the prospect of living in a fishbowl was too bleak for one my swimmers because when I came home from shopping there was only one fish left in the bowl. The fish jumped out and met a very sorry ending on the base of my bed.

That night I commented to Carrie that the other fish might be lonely and could possibly jump. Again, "nah, never..." Until I got home and realized that the bowl was now completely empty. Apparently swimmer no. 2 believed his friend had made it to a better place and wanted to check it out himself. But where is it? I searched around the bowl, knocked over and smashed a bottle of wine while checking beneath my mattress and still, no fish. I had to summon Craig from downstairs to come investigate and scoop out the dead animal that had lodged itself between the base and headboard of my bed. Heart breaking. So I am now sans fish and have little desire to buy new ones. My first experience was hardly encouraging. I knew that fish had a short life span but I definitely didn't expect them to only live a few hours!

1 Comments:

Blogger Mathieu said...

Ikarus died for less than that! All he wanted was to fly as high as he could... but who's to say he didn't find another, better place upon impact... or in the fall itself.

And yet, to feel the hand of gravity, not in the fall, as freefall it must be, just like swimming in the sea, no, but in sudden immobility, the heavy smack of a floor that always comes back to your side, no matter how you flip and jump. No breath.

Ikarus had it easy.

6:09 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home