This space will be used to document and record my adventures in Vietnam and throughout South East Asia over the course of the next year.

Tuesday, December 21, 2004

My tit's angry

The English teachers at our school have started Vietnamese lessons. We're struggling. So much, in fact, that our teacher even laughs at us. The language itself isn't so difficult as there's no conjugation or tenses...I think? But the tones are killing us. We find ourselves jiggling our bodies from side to side in imitation of the tonal signs. And our voices strain to go up and down but we still say things such as "bread please" instead of "How are you?"

Carrie and I found ourselves in a fit of giggles this afternoon when learning about ordering food at a restaurant.

"Mai thich an gi," meaning "Food I like to eat" (or something to that effect) continued to come out of our teacher's mouth as "My tit's angry." We were suddenly back in high school again, the two childish girls in hysterics about something that really isn't funny at all. What made it worse was that my students were eagerly staring in the window, trying to catch a glimpse of their teachers' struggling nearly as much as they do. And there we were...crying we were laughing so hard. Thoroughly amused and no, our tit's were not angry...

1 Comments:

Blogger Hsu said...

*Rolling on the floor laughing

6:09 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home